[XCON] Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-common-data-model-05

Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net> Thu, 06 September 2007 22:41 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@estacado.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:41:20 -0500
To: XCON-IETF <xcon@ietf.org>
Cc: Dave.Morgan@fmr.com, roni.even@polycom.co.il, Oscar.Novo@ericsson.com, Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-common-data-model-05

Hi,

Here are my comments on draft-ietf-xcon-common-data-model-05. They
are mostly editorial in nature.

Thanks!

Ben.

---------

General:

I share Gonzalo's comment about the scope of the data model being
unclear. In particular, is it the goal of this document to define how
the contents of a conference object affect behavior of various
devices? If so, then there is a notable lack of normative language to
that effect throughout the document.

Many element types can be used  in different contexts (i.e. as
children of different parents), and if I understand correctly, their
meaning may be different depending on the context in which they are
used. I personally don't feel like I fully understand all of these
after multiple detailed reads of the document. It might help to have
more examples. Rather than whole documents, it might be useful to put
in document fragment examples illustrating specific usages.

Section 4 is inconsistent in how it presents elements. In some cases,
an element and its children are all defined in the same section. In
others, there is a section for each. Furthermore, it requires some
reading between the lines to understand when this document is
defining an element vs. incorporating an element defined elsewhere.
This is explicit in some cases, but not consistent. My personal
preference would be to give each element its own section, and use a
common list-oriented format for things like contexts, potential
children, where the element is defined, cardinality, etc. But the
important thing is consistency.

Specific comments:

Section 3.2 Paragraph 2:

Why do we need normative statements about what privileges should be
associated with each role?

Section 4 Paragraph 1:

I assume a conference object document and a conference object data
model document are the same thing? It would be helpful to be
consistent with the terminology.

Paragraph 2:

Need a reference for the definition of XCON-URI

Paragraph 5:

(Personal pet peeve nit) I find constructs of the form "...defined in
[1]" difficult to follow. The construct "... defined in RFC XXXX[1]"
is better. This is partly to save the reader from constant flipping
back to the end-notes. But in general the end-note reference is
parenthetical, and the sentence should still make sense if the
reference is completely removed.

Diagram:
Is it possible to give this a referenceable "figure" number? Also, it
would be helpful if the diagram could show cardinality somehow.

Section 4.1: Paragraph 1.

The section gives brief descriptions of each child elements, but the
real descriptions occur in the following sections. It would be better
to just mention the child elements by name, and refer to the sections
for each. Repeating the same info twice is likely to create
inconsistencies as the document evolves.

4.1.1

This is an example of a section that defines child elements in the
same section as its parents. I personally think this would be easier
for readers if each element got its own section. But in any case, it
should be consistent from section to section.

4.1.5.1 Paragraph 1:

What does it mean for an element to contain controls? How is the
element actually used? Assuming this is described elsewhere, can we
put in a reference to that description

4.1.5.1.4.

Entire Section:

I find it naive to believe we can specify all useful or likely
layouts in advance. Wouldn't it make more sense to describe these in
terms of what the focus has to do rather than how a client displays
things? (I don't mean to question wg concensus if this has already
been discussed to death)

Paragraph 2:

I find no reference to a <layout> element elsewhere. Should this be
<video-layout>

4.5

I am really confused on how all the <users> sub-elements fit
together. For example, what would it mean to have <join-
handling>allow</join-handling>, an <allowed-users-list>, and a <user>
element in the same <users> parent? Some more example scenarios would
help.

5:

I am not familiar with RELAX NG. Hopefully an expert in this is
reviewing the document?

7. Example

<conf-uris> contains a child element of <SIP>. The text said that we
reuse <entries> for SIP URIs in this context for backwards
compatibility with the SIP conference model.

Same for <host-info>.

8. Security Considerations

This section seems rather lightweight. The text motivates why we care
about authentication, but does not provide motivation for
confidentiality and integrity. I suspect a discussion of possible
privacy issues may be in order. Also, I assume these documents may be
stored and cached, as well as transferred, so some considerations
about whether it is okay to just leave them laying around might be
worth having.